Finished this one in the middle of the night just before C4-Open in Malmoe, Sweden. I managed to shrink the vinyl tracks with a hair drier while drying the weathering pigments. So I had no choice but to throw together some link by link tracks from AFV-Club I had lying around. That was fun… 🙂
Weathered extensively with AK-Interactive stuff and the snow is Tamiya Powdered Snow. For a final effect I painted on a lot of AK-Interactives wet effect for creating that slouchy and icy appearance.
I know that the pictures might look a bit hard, but I actually decreased the contrast a lot to make it more life like. So the contrast under the right lightning is quite extreme on this model 🙂
Also notice how the tank is front heavy!
Hope you like it!
Update on my Jumbo. I belive the oils are done for now and time to move on to earth weathering with pigments and enamels. And after this, snow!
I started of with quite a bad shade of green but managed to get a more Olive Drab feel to it with lots and lots of oils and filters. Now I only need to paint a couple of more things before the decals will be applied.
I have finally completed the build of my “First in Bastogne” Sherman jumbo from Tasca. It features a lot of extras from several different companies. Next up: Primer!
As I daily scavenge the web for references I thought that I might as well post my findings here.
This first part will be dedicated to the M4A3E2 Assault Tank – postwar nickname “Jumbo”/”Cobra King” – extra armour (including 4″ on front), vertical sided turret, but about 3-4 mph slower. Built with 75 mm gun but frequently re-armed by the using units with 76-mm guns.
Users: US, France (one vehicle)
A total of only 254 tanks was built.
A great website showcasing the restoration of the famous Cobra King can be found here.
A brief operational history on the Jumbo
This is my Guam Sherman M4A2 that I finished a couple of weeks ago. It’s the Dragon Tarawa M4A2 kit with wading stacks from Tank-Workshop and hand crafted stowage. The wading stacks were not prototypical so I had to modify them to match the real prototype. To be correct the wading stacks were welded flush on the hull instead of being separated from the tank.
The idea with this model was to try and heavily layer different oils to create variation in the base color. I believe that not much of show through the weathering dough but I will definitely try and take it even further next time.
A quick update on the painting progress.
The construction phase is now complete. A lot of work went in to the wading stacks.